Monday, October 24, 2016

Apex Dominates Race of France

Field report by Travis Billingsley

The Bugatti circuit at LeMans in France turned out to be the kind of race that most wish for each race weekend. Sure there were still a few bumps, rubs, and "mechanical issues" that would come into play for the final standings, but what a race night to be on the track.

I was very pleased with the Apex Racing results last night. It was great to get the top two podium positions in our garage, but just as nice is seeing teammate Tony Tyree have two nice, consistent heats to place him in the top 5. Kudos to the garage, the drivers, and everyone supporting us.

The races themselves were a fun drive also. Heat 1 started with Andrew pressuring me for about 4 laps or so before taking the lead for 1st and never looking back. I was able to hold a steady pace that would keep RZM driver Bryan Dean out of striking range and bring home a P2 finish.

Heat 2 was a little more interesting starting at the back line for green. I was able to jump a few positions on flag drop, but had to get into the grass a little on the start and that probably cost me a couple spots that could have been gained. Andrew was able to capitalize a couple more spots than I, so I spent the race trying to move up from about 6th spot after the holeshot dust cleared. About 4 or 5 laps in had me sitting in 4th trying to get the rhythm to catch and pass Paul Maestri and Bryan Dean. I was finally able to make a pass on Paul with about 5 or 6 laps to go. I started the chase for Bryan, but he too was laying some pretty quick lap times. With two to go, it looked like Dean was holding his position easily. But the start of the last lap showed a significant gain on him in the first couple of corners, with the distance between us narrowing throughout the lap. I caught up to Bryan with only about 4 corners left. Although I nosed in on him a little in one corner, the door wasn't open enough, and we had run too nice of a race to have it destroyed by a poor maneuver. I had to settle for pushing Bryan across the line and keeping my 3rd place spot for heat 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment