Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Andrew Steppat: FRL Driver

 One of the cool things about an online racing league is that we get aquainted with a lot of folks outside our normal social circles. Unfortunately, that means we don't always get to know even some of the most basic information about them. We've got a large field of drivers for the FRL now, so we've embarked on an effort that will hopefully allow us to get to know our fellow drivers better.

 We kick off this series with an interview of two-time FRL Series Champion Andrew Steppat.

FRL: Thanks for sitting down with us for a few minutes Mr. Steppat. I'll get started with the obvious question, where do you hail from?

Andrew: I was born and raised in Lincoln, Nebraska (Go Huskers!) and still live here 31 years later.

FRL: What's life like for you outside the virtual cockpit of a race car?

Andrew: Hectic, hectic, hectic. I'm married (Shannon) with 2 young kids (Adalyn-4, Marcus-15months) with a 3rd on the way (Austin-due in December). He was an accident haha! So between family, meetings, studying, service, errands, and me and my wife both working full time, day to day life is pretty exhausting. Some days I just want to scream and then 5 minutes later I'll be busting up laughing at my kids or something.
I enjoy playing sports like basketball, volleyball and golf. It just doesn't happen too often anymore. I enjoy weight lifting but kind of go in spurts with that. Why is it so hard to stay motivated haha?
College Football is my favorite sport to watch. I love it when Fall rolls around, the temperature cools down, and we can hang out with our friends and watch Nebraska's defense give up 600 yds of offense. Then I feel like crap! I'll watch some NFL. I don't really have a team that I follow, so I just watch to watch, which is kind of nice. I like College Basketball as well. I've been a big North Carolina fan since I was around 8. I pretty much became a fan of Carolina because I hated the early 90's Duke teams with Christian Laettner and Bobby Hurley and I've been hating ever since! So naturally I was drawn to Carolina. So if there are any Duke fans in the FRL, they're getting punted off the track in turn 1 on Mugello!

FRL: What is your automotive background?

Andrew: Personally my automotive history is pretty sad. Growing up my family had several cars, none of them being very exciting. Ford LTD station wagon, Olds 88, '77 Bonneville, Dodge Dart Swinger (not a cool one, more like a Granny one). My dad has owned a '70 Maverick for as long as I can remember. I can remember riding in it one time. But after that it has just sat not running for probably the last 25 years. My dad owned a '67 Firebird when he was younger and sold it for like 300 bucks. To this day he still kicks himself for getting rid of it. He has a big picture of a '67 in his office now. My older sisters had an '80 Chevette and a '78 Corolla. My first car was an '88 Beretta. 0-60 in 16 seconds (no joke). But I still thought it was pretty awesome! My next car was a '98 Grand Prix GTP. Supercharged 3.8L. Definitely had fun with this car. It had decent performance. Right now my cars are the Grand Prix (not running), '05 Corolla and '08 Town and Country. So yeah nothing exciting. I will say the Corolla is amazing. We got it in '06 with 16k miles on it. It now has 95k and not one single thing has gone wrong with it. Nothing. I guess I should clarify. It has amazing reliability. Performance? Not so much.

 So despite my lackluster automotive history, I have always loved cars, trucks, machinery, ever since I've been a little kid. I love all types of vehicles and racing. I love the sound of the low gurgle of a big block at idle and the piercing shriek of an F1 car at full throttle. They both give me goosebumps. If I stumbled upon a couple hundred million dollars, I would be one of those collectors that has several hundred vehicles.
I don't know where to even begin as far as favorite manufacturer or vehicle. There are so many that I like. I do really like just about anything from Lamborghini and Pagani. I think Aston Martin make some of the best looking vehicles. I would say my favorite car right now would be the Aventador Roadster. But I'm definitely looking for to see more of the P1 from McLaren. If I had an imaginary garage with a range of vehicles it would be something like this-

Peterbilt 379
AM General M925 6x6
Lamborghini Aventador Roadster
Pagani Zonda R
McLaren F1
2008 McLaren MP4-23
Mercedes Benz AMG C63
Nissan GTR AMS Alpha-12
Corvette ZR1
Ferrari 458
Ferrari F355 Roadster
Ferrari F50 GT
Kooooeeeennnnnnnenigsegg Agera R
BMW M6
Ariel Atom 500
Aston Martin Vanquish
'69 Chevelle SS
'69 Camaro SS

I better just stop now.

F1 is my favorite form of motorsport. But I like just about any type of racing. Except NASCAR. I just can't get into it.


FRL: What is your favorite aspect of Forza 4?

Andrew: Just trying to better my times on a track are what I enjoy most. I like the challenge of always trying to find more time in every corner. I enjoy experimenting with different lines and gears in turns. I feel very satisfied when everything seems to come together over the entirety of a lap.

FRL: How do you feel about landing the championship for 2 seasons in a row?

Andrew: I feel very good about the 2 championships but understand that I've caught some breaks along the way. We have some good drivers in the FRL and I know each week is going to be difficult. But I'm still hungry as ever. Unfortunately I'm a competitive person. I don't get angry competitive, but when I go into something, I want to win. So I'm dreading when a season comes when I lose.

FRL: What are your thoughts on how this next season is going to go?


Andrew: I think it is going to be very close all season long and probably the most difficult season so far. With a bigger field and a new points system, I think consistency is going to be crucial this season. I would say any missed week will almost certainly eliminate anyone from the championship. So I really hope no one has any connection issues. I hate to see someone lose out on points for something not in their control. My goal is for top 3 finishes in every race to keep my points average up high enough. But with a healthy amount of racers and the inevitable contact with other cars, that is going to be difficult. I'm looking forward to seeing how this season plays out!

 Tune in next week as we interview last seasons runner-up, Paul Maestri 

No comments:

Post a Comment